03 April 2006

sounds about right



china: food isn't all it's cracked up to be. especially after korea. i'm not so much a fan of beijing. very polluted and pushy. kunming, however, is beautiful and smells of flowers everywhere. took a two day train ride from beijing to kunming. yunnan province of china is beautiful. the city of jinghong reminded me of dirty dancing. don't know why. but it felt like maybe baby would come flying through the air at me at any moment and there might be a conga line around any given corner. china bus drivers are crazy, crazy dudes.

best story from china:

we rented bikes and rode them around jinghong one day. rode through farm fields and past corn fields full of buzzing bees. green green green. friendly farmers and a man gave me an orange. my pedal started to feel a little lose, so i pulled over to wiggle it a bit and the whole thing came off in my hand. i looked up to yell for rich to stop and caught the eyes of a woman standing on the street a few feet from me. without a word she smiled and pointed across to the other side of the street. i looked across the street and there, right in front of us, was a rolling bike repair stand. no way. cost about 10 cents to fix it up like new and we were on our way again.

lao: the kids here are super-fantastic. riding on the back of a tuk-tuk taxi thing facing the people walking along the road, all the kids give double thumbs up and wave and jump up and down at the sight of us. plus, it's getting close to new years here, and the kids are splashing water on everyone in celebration. i have yet to get soaked. met some kids at a stupa (temple thing) who played with large cockroaches for entertainment purposes. i squeaked and they were completely oblivious as to what was creeping me out. bug sqeamishness was beyond them. took a six hour boat ride from nong kiew to louang phrabang. had to get out and push for a bit. every day in lao tops the previous and every night i go to sleep feeling that the next day will be even better. i am having the time of my life. i have no best story from lao yet. it's all good. the boat trip was probably the most fantastic though. but that was yesterday. and tomorrow i'm going to go ride elephants.

check out my pictures at this site: www.dropshots.com/eeking

at your own risk though, mom and dad.

4 replies:

At 11:00 PM GMT+9, Blogger Katie says...

Okay, I looked at all of your pictures and was hoping for something a little risque...what was that whole "at your own risk though, mom and dad" thing about? :) I enjoyed them though! So glad you're having fun!!

 
At 1:37 AM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous says...

Hey Erin, I did the movie test too and I am "Mr. Smith goes to Washington". I've never seen it, but this might be all the motivation I need to do so. Glad to hear you are back in range of the internet!

 
At 11:27 PM GMT+9, Blogger Likethepear says...

Yay! Erin's back to blogland! I'm so excited about all your travels! I just wish I didn't have dial-up cause it takes me forever to look at the pics :(

Have fun for me and eat at the indian restaurants in Laos - there's a bunch of them that start with N and I don't remember the full name but the food is delicious!

Chris

 
At 9:51 AM GMT+9, Anonymous Anonymous says...

I'm Raiders of the Lost Ark too.
I wonder how many movies they've got in there?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home